Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sad Reality of Today: Take, Take, Take...

Doubt, Disconnect, Exploitation

I am not a religious person but I do believe in a "creator" or, in the more popular parlance, "intelligent design" to some extent. In short that which defines life and the immensely complex system that has supported and destroyed it for hundreds of millions of years is, simply, too perfect to be defined by randomness or accident, in my opinion.

That aside, in reading today that the soon to be canonized Mother Teresa not only espoused doubt but a literal disconnection with her faith I was both stricken and saddened:

"Such deep longing for God and ... repulsed empty no faith no love no zeal. ... Heaven means nothing pray for me please that I keep smiling at Him in spite of everything."

"I have no Faith _ I dare not utter the words & thoughts that crowd in my heart _ & make me suffer untold agony," via Washington Post.

I've always thought of doubt being the the necessary fuel for faith but to read such abject despondence on the part of an integral persona of modern Christianity (indeed a likely Saint!) struck me. The anguish she endured while maintaining what can only be described as the worlds most successful poker face had to have been damn near debilitating.

While her personal (ahem, personal) correspondences will likely have little effect (so far as I've read) on the lady being canonized the fact that she'd requested these articles be burned and that, quite contrary to her wishes, they've been tossed before the world in the form of a book pisses me off.

Is no element of the human experience sacred? Nah. Those that can, take. Those that die, unwittingly give. Sad the legacy of today, isn't it?

0 comments: