Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

McCain... Lieberman? What if?


Was riding with my dad and a friend today, talking politics. I'd opined that McCain would require my "favorite" scholar of the miracle, Mike Huckabee in order to beat Barak Obama, should senator Obama win the Dem. nomination. To which Pa responded, "You know who would make a great running mate for McCain?"

I said, "Rudy?"

He said, "No."

I said, "Who?"

He said, "Lieberman."

I thought, and then I nodded. The "true" conservative base would shit in their hands and sling it forth (nothing new, at this point the TC pundit's have got catchers mitts on one hand and jai-alai cesta's on the other) but politically speaking it might buy Mac many of the indy votes that Obama would otherwise score against a Huckleberry Veep candidate. I'm assuming, of course, that an Obama victory doesn't end in a Hillary Veep ticket. But as Pa said, one is hard pressed imagining Senator Clinton playing second fiddle.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Adrian said...

I don't see Lieberman adding anything that McCain doesn't already have.

fester said...

I can not see how Lieberman does anything as McCain already has massive problems with his conservative base trusting him and Lieberman is a liberal on social issues so that won't help. The common area of shared agreement is that both McCain and Lieberman believe the US should invade and bomb more countries more often. That is not a winning policy combination

The Whited Sepulchre said...

I like it.
McCain will never get a massive conservative groundswell of support, so why not go after the middle?
I think people are going to remember the Clintons exiting the White House with all the grace of,,,,well, The Clintons.
Lieberman or Biden.
We live in interesting times.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

I am not drawn to the idea of further alienating those on the right side of the GOP, that is what adding Lieberman to his name would do, in the end it only hurts the nation.

Steve said...

I agree with Adrian - There's nothing that Lieberman would add that McCain doesn't already have. I imagine both sides will play it safe and go for the governor of a swing state.

Jay@Soob said...

Thanks all for the thoughts.

WS, interesting times indeed... In a most Chinese sense. The political polarity seems to be reaching it's "critical mass" and none too soon. McCain/Obama decision for November of '08. Mark my words...