Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Sunday, June 22, 2008

On Celebratory Gun Fire

This man is very likely deaf as a slab of granite

I spend a good amount of time on the range murdering innocent paper targets with my hand gun and rifle. Once in a great while I'll forget to clamp on my hearing protection and squeeze off a shot. The effect on the eardrums is both immediate and remarkable and the reason for this occurring once in a great while as opposed to once in a while.

Every so often I'll catch some footage of the unusual practice of celebratory gun fire, most always in the middle east. Never have I seen the people that are carelessly unleashing barrages of lethal projectiles wear hearing protection. Half the problems in the middle east might well be derived from the possibility that they're all incredibly hard of hearing. So when Ehud Olmert says "We really need to come to better terms on the Golan heights," Bashar al-Assad hears "We really need some butter berms on the golden fights." You can imagine his bewilderment and irritation.

5 comments:

deichmans said...

LOL! That would explain a LOT.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

True - I, to take one example, never used these disposable earplugs they give out during my army days. These earplugs play havoc with your balance and the results are accordingly pitiful.

And in the field, you know, these hearing protection may interfere with your hearing. Which could be hazardous to your health too...

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Oh, and baby Assad's and Olmert's hearing must be perfect, BTW - both are effing civilians who never shot anything but their respective mouths.

Unknown said...

LOL at the last paragraph, and I can definitely relate to the first para as well. Once at the range when I took off my ear defenders after emptying my magazine, and the guy right next me suddenly fired his M14 - it felt like my ears should be bleeding.

Jay@Soob said...

Shane,

As you know I am a wizened sage of everything not claimed by the other wizened sages.

Snoop,

I thought Israel had a mandatory service (conscription) sort of deal. Did Olmert pre-date this or somehow get around it?

Phil,

Probably the only thing worse than forgetting your head gear and plinking away is another guy blasting away as you stand, oblivious, nearby.