Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Chris Dodd Gets it.


At least as far as Pakistan is concerned. I tuned into the Democratic debate in Nevada this last Thursday night and paid particular attention when the subject of the current events in Pakistan arose. Nearly all the contenders sang the song of Democracy as a means to stabilize Pakistan and proposed an end to or limitation of aid to the Paki military should Pervez Musharraf continue his effective martial law.

The exceptions being Senator Hillary Clinton, who seemed to tread lightly with a rather ambiguous position, and Senator Chris Dodd who, quite effectively, drew a line in the sand by stating, no bullshit here, "be careful what you wish for."

I'm amazed that the top down approach to applying democracy hasn't been relegated to that of abject failure by the majority of the democratic candidates. Given the example of Iraq and they're own sometimes valid, more often vitriolic, commentary regarding such one is led to wonder why the idea of enforcing, rather than allowing democracy is suddenly something to be embraced.

I suspect most of the positions regarding Pakistan are designed to induce political popularity. The hard reality that there exists, amidst the realm of foreign policy, the idea of necessary evils, has been tossed aside by most. Kudos for Senator Dodd for kicking aside the popular resolve and putting forth, with much force, his own realisations regarding the Pakistani conundrum. Dodd seems to have learned the hard lessons of the Palestinian election that, regardless of US approval, ended in the election of a rather anti-western element as Hamas rose to power. Very illustrative of Dodd's own warning, "be careful what you wish for."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post Jay. Clinton's stock in trade seems to be ambiguity. My guess is that the line for public consumption from western governments is emocracy for Pakistan, but that most prefer Pervez Musharraf to some unstable assortment of moerates and radicals.

Jay@Soob said...

Pete,

Yes indeed, I agree. Stability in the face of "oligarchy" is much better served than instability in the face of "democracy." Beyond Dodd and the political ninja we know as Hillary Clinton, I have a hard time believing that the rest of the democratic herd (save for Dennis Kucinich, who exists on his own little planet) believe their own rhetoric regarding Pakistan. It's political pandering to the masses.

Jackson said...

I Like your blog. I thought you might find the information in my blog helpful. Well Not Really but I am a Musician and not a very good one so I gotta eat some how. Ask The Car Dr. is an interactive blog designed for those of us who are driving and maintaining older vehicles as well as those with an interest in Hybrids and newer fuel cell technology. My last Volvo 740GL had over 360,000 mile on it before the time came to replace it. Quite honestly the car still was reliable enough to keep driving but my 140lb dog had his way with tan the interior and we were ready for a change. Knowledge is power and the tips in my blog could save you money if paid attention to. This is a new blog moderated by a former professional mechanic who is now a musician. Thanks- ABLE

Jay@Soob said...

Thanks, able answer, for the kind words and the comment. I've visited your blog and rest assured any future automotive conundrums that I suffer will lead me to you for some advice! Especially given my seemingly eternal restoration project of a 1988 Mazda 323 GT.

Sadly, the chassis and body are very far gone, rusted and rotten, and so I am in the market for a GTZ or GTX body and frame to transfer the rather considerable powerplant we've built. Any leads or ideas, feel free to comment here or contact me via email at subadei0@lycos.com.