Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Or; the top cartoons of Soobian history...

Shane's comment below got me to thinking about cartoons and those that I spent many a Saturday morning or weekday post school afternoon watching. Weekday afternoon 'toons seem to have gone the way of the Waltons and reside in the great reel in the sky. Saturday 'toons have either given way to a paid programming, Japanese variants or the conglomerative effect of the Cartoon Network.

At any rate here's the official breakdown of the top 5 cartoons ever to splash across my TV screen:

5.

Supermans rodent counterpart. A later "generation" (late '80's) brought a sarcastic humor to the mouse of steel.









4.

Smart and Fast beats out Smart and Cursed. The Coyote is the finest cartoon example of blurring the lines between protagonist and antagonist.







3.

"You know huwhat..." Tex Avery's masterpiece of both comedy and the ultimate victory of the underdog.







2.

Recently a motion pictures (that I have yet to see) the Transformers saw my own childhood graduation from the purely comedic cartoon to the "dramatic."
Generation 1 was good but Generation 2 (short lived as it was) was better.




1.

Tom and Jerry is, without a doubt, the finest cartoon ever. A winner of 7 Academy Awards and the mainstay (in various forms) of my childhood toon experience. The MGM versions far surpass the later Hannah Barbara versions which lost both graphic quality/detail and content.





Notables:

Heckle and Jeckle

The Looney Toons gang

Gummi Bears

Gargoyles

Thundarr the Barbarian


Add your own favorites below.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clutch Cargo
Wacky Races

deichmans said...

I second your Road Runner and Transformers selections, and add the 'toon that was my first fave -- one that had a truly profound impact on my development:

Speed Racer

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer - he's a demon on wheels!

Curtis Gale Weeks said...

G.I.Joe. I loved those cartoons, growing up. (I accidentally caught a newer version in the last few months or so, but didn't like it, however.)

Looney Tunes is really the best of all time, imo. Bugs Bunny, in particular: who kicks Mickey Mouse's butt, or would if they ever came into conflict!

Then you have The Flintstones and The Jetsons. Hmmm.....

I also liked Johnny Quest quite a bit.

deichmans said...

CGW: Looney Tunes content may kick Mickey's butt, but they have lost the battle of the marketplace. Some of the most cherished items in my wardrobe are my Warner Bros. character dress socks (particularly the Daffy and Taz styles). They are now over 12 years old and threadbare, with no replacements to be found -- not even on eBay! Mickey apparel, however, is all too easy to find....

Jay@Soob said...

peter,

I remembered Muttly and Dastardly Dick but had to google Clutch Cargo. Apparently it's creator was the first to utilize the Syncro Vox system (superimposed live action lips on the characters faces that save many hours of real animating.) Interesting stuff and still utilized today by Conan O'Brien.


Lol! Looney Tunes socks, eh Shane? I concur that the Looney Toons would whip Mickeys ass in any competition of wit or physical combat. Sadly todays youth don't agree and prefer the nauseating Disney instead. I'll keep an eye out for Daffy and Taz on dress socks for you, Shane.

Damn, forgot about Johnny Quest. That should have been a mention in my post at least.

Curtis Gale Weeks said...

Just watched a Johnny Quest episode on YouTube:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three.

Anonymous said...

Soob - re. Clutch Cargo, I'm not as old as it might appear! Clutch Cargo was first screened, I believe, in the States in the late 50s, but only came on New Zealand screens in the mid 70s. Don't know whether that qualifies us NZers as backward.

Talking about age, one my staff who the other day (quite innocently) said to me , "Pete, was Latin compulsory when you were at school?" Needless to say he's too young even to know about Wacky Races.

Jay@Soob said...

Lol!

Could have been worse:

"Say, Pete, it must've been tough schooling what with all the cuneiform and all..."

Anonymous said...

For Saturday mornings, I preferred the live action "Land of the Lost"