Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bee-logging

So I finished all my exams. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with myself for a few weeks. I came straight from shift work into university so I haven't had any semblance of a long holiday in a while (Start of '07, I think, but my memory of the holiday is neither clear, nor distinct). So what to do. Blogging-wise I have a few ideas for posts. I have to catch up on reading various blogs that I haven't read in a while. I also have to respond to Restructure! and Macon D's extensive conversation in the coming week.

Meanwhile, in the real world, I might hit the arm wrestling circuit to win that mack truck I've always wanted. Apart from that, I'm waiting for my 360 to be fixed (for the second time). I also have a ton of reading to catch up on. One of the best sites I've found over the years for books has been Cosma Shalizi's massive notebook lists, my Amazon wishlists are looking more like his notebooks every day, as I always find interesting reading material on his lists (he's a relentless reading-machine that has been sent back from the future to devour our books). Here are some notebooks that are worth your time:

The philosophy-related lists are great. Here are my favorites:
Anyway, go check the lists. There is something for everyone, from books on the classical mediterranean era to literary criticism.

Speaking of philosophy as well, there is a new blog called 'My Adventure to Enlightenment' by a philosophy and religious studies student that is going to discuss books, warfare and other areas. Looking forward to reading it once it is up and going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention at the end of your post. I hope to meet your expectations once I get my material posted.

My 360 has broken two times too. It may be best console(because of the quality of games and online play) but they really did a botched up job making the system itself.

Jay@Soob said...

The 360 is absolute shit. I too have been through two of them. Though its library seems to beat out the PS3 library in terms of variety. The 3 is shooter crazed, a genre I'm not much into (unless you consider the more tactical types like Rainbow 6.)

Looking forward to reading your stuff, Glenn.

Munz, that notebook is endless. Excellent find. Best of luck with that arm wrestling bit. You know, break an arm and all that.

Reminds me of the eyelid wrestling tournament I won in Nepal some years back. Didn't win a mack truck, which is just as well. In Nepalese mack truck (maktruk) means female yeti. And I can't have one of those stomping around the apartment and bellowing at all hours.

I did, however, win a mountain. I haven't yet figured out just how I'll get it shipped here. Come to think of it, I haven't even figured out where I'll put it once it gets here the closets being as small as they are.