Soob

Politics, Foreign Policy, Current Events and Occasional Outbursts Lacking Couth

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bowing Out



John Cox and Allen Forkum have officially retired from their sharp and always funny editorial cartooning. Gone also will be the follow up analysis, which I've not always agreed with but enjoyed never the less. John Cox will endeavor on with his John Cox Art but of course like pizza without cheese it just ain't the same.

Interesting bit via Allen Forkum:


I also want to stop focusing so much of my creative energy on negative aspects of daily life. There's still an ideological battle to be fought, not to mention an actual war, and I will stay engaged in some form and medium. But at this point, anything seems more appealing than immersing myself in the sewer of daily politics.


When political cartoonists tire of the shallow and generally superficial realm that is American politics we've got some issues. That aside a positive mitigating possibility:

That said, I imagine we won't be able to resist creating an occasionally editorial cartoon. And if we do, we'll post it here.

2 comments:

mark said...

"When political cartoonists tire of the shallow and generally superficial realm that is American politics we've got some issues"

A bad sign, I agree. Political cartoonists are supposed to be the happy warriors of politics. When a highly talented one says, in effect " Well...doing this now... sucks" it really bodes ill.

Curtis Gale Weeks said...

the sewer of daily politics

My thoughts exactly. For years now, I've grown nauseous whenever I've found myself on a site that did that (and there are many who think that by offering their own spin to the daily sewage is somehow a sign of strength within the system! Only in aggregate, perhaps; perhaps not even that.) It offends my sensibilities in the most visceral way.